Rules & Regs
Shirts and proper tennis attire and non-marking/soft-soled tennis shoes must be worn at ALL times (i.e. denim, spandex, cut-off shorts, muscle shirts, and offensive wordings or logos are NOT allowed).
All members and guests must conduct themselves in a courteous, respectful and polite manner when dealing with other members and Club staff and volunteers, both on the courts and in the clubhouse and on Club grounds.
- Yelling, profanity and the throwing of racquets will NOT be tolerated.
- Players may cross courts ONLY during court changes, and may only retrieve balls from other courts during stoppages of play.
- No consumption of alcohol on club premises unless the alcohol has been bought under a Special Occasion Permit. No alcohol on the courts. No consumption of alcohol while playing.
- Out of courtesy to other players, cell phones, pagers, beepers and mp3 players MUST be turned off.
- Players must remove any garbage, food, drinks, clothes, towels, cans and balls from the courts when they leave to ensure a safe and clean environment.
- Players are asked to ensure that after playing on clay, they wipe off their shoes before entering the clubhouse.
- Members must pay all Club dues and be in good standing (with no suspensions). As Club policy, Kew does not issue refunds for paid memberships.
- CLUBHOUSE: Inline skates, skateboards, smoking and pets (with the exception of service animals) ARE NOT allowed in the clubhouse or on Club property (i.e., inside the Club fences). These are City By-laws.
- The KITCHEN and PRO/BUSINESS OFFICE are OFF LIMITS to everyone except for the Club Manager, Club Pros, Club staff and the current Board of Directors.
LIABILITY FOR LOST AND STOLEN PROPERTY AND INJURY POLICY: The Club, its managers, staff, the Board of Directors and the City of Toronto are not responsible for lost, misplaced or stolen items OR for members or guests incurring injury while in the clubhouse or on Club property. Please lock your bicycles.
GUESTS: All guests must register with the Club Manager or Court Monitor on duty, pay a $10.00 guest fee, fill out & sign a liability waiver, and be accompanied by a member. Guest are allowed 4 visits before being asked to become a member.
DISCIPLINE: Any complaints against a member or inappropriate behaviour will be dealt with by the Club Manager or Court Monitor on duty IMMEDIATELY, who has the authority to remove any member from a court or Club property. If severe enough, a letter will be sent from the Board of Directors which can result in a suspension of playing and membership privileges. See Member Code of Conduct.
JUNIOR PLAYING TIME AND PRIVILEGES: Junior members may book courts as posted. ONLY juniors with adult playing privileges, as directed by the Head Pro, will be allowed to book courts during adult playing times.
CHILD SUPERVISION: Children are supervised by tennis instructors when taking lessons or during summer camps. At all other times, the supervision and safety of children is the responsibility of their parents, not of Kew Gardens Tennis Club or its staff.
ALCOHOL & DRUGS POLICY: Kew Gardens Tennis Club (KGTC) is a city owned facility. Only alcohol bought under permit by KGTC may be consumed on KGTC property (the property).
- Alcohol not allowed on court.
- No consumption of alcohol or drugs while playing.
- No personal alcohol or illegal drugs to be brought onto the property. Anyone consuming their own alcohol or using drugs on the property will be evicted and the member will be automatically suspended from the club for one week. Suspension means NO playing privileges including representing KGTC on a team (home or away). A second offense will result in suspension from the club for the balance of the season.
- If the court monitor believes a member is under the influence of either alcohol or drugs, that member will lose their court booking and/or will not be able to book a court.