2016 Tournaments are as follows:
|Men’s/Ladies Doubles||Tues. Aug 2 to Sun. Aug 14|
|Mixed Doubles||Mon. Aug. 22 to Sun. Aug. 28|
|Men’s/Ladies Singles||Tues. Sept. 6 to Sun. Sept. 18|
Kew Gardens Tennis Ladder
Kew Gardens runs competitive men’s and women’s singles ladders. The fee for participating in the ladder for the season is $10. Kew members wishing to play on the ladder can register and pay the fee at the clubhouse (cash or cheque).
The ladder will run from mid-May to mid-August and will run on a thirty (30) day cycle. There will be three cycles during the season.
The first cycle of ladder play will commence on May 15th, sign-up deadline is May 10th.
There will be a ladders’ tournament at the end of the season. It will probably take place on a Sunday evening. Tournament details to come at a later date.
Kew is a busy club and finding court time for ladder matches can be a challenge particularly during the mid-May to mid-July teams period. Ideally, ladders players should be available to play Friday nights, Sunday nights and weekends.
In order to facilitate ladder play, Kew has reserved one hard court on Friday night from 6 pm to 9 pm and on Sunday night two clay courts from 7 pm to 9 pm. These courts and times are for ladder play only. Participants will be able to book these times either in person or by phone each Monday morning from 9:30 am onwards on a first come first serve basis.
When registering for play, please specify your rating, otherwise players will be placed at the bottom of the ladder. We also need your contact info (phone number and e-mail). Players are responsible for scheduling their own matches.
Ladders are posted at the clubhouse and e-mailed to all participants. Please record your scores on the sheets at the clubhouse.
1. The ladder will run from mid-May to mid-August. There will be three thirty (30) day cycles.
2. Players are put into groups of six (6) by the challenge ladder co-ordinator according to their rating.
3. By the 20th day of each cycle, players must have played at least two (2) matches within their group. Failure to do so will result in removal from the ladder unless there are extenuating circumstances.
4. If a player in your group becomes injured and you have not played that person, you will automatically be given four (4) points.
5. Injured players will be removed from the ladder until they are able to play again. Players unavailable to play during a cycle will be removed from the ladder and the rejoin the following cycle.
6. Players who have difficulty reaching or arranging a game with another player must inform the ladder co-ordinator (Ira Sherman at email@example.com) before registering a default. Defaults will be given at the discretion of the ladder co-ordinator and must be recorded as a default.
7. New players entering the ladder will be placed into groups according to their NTRP rating.
8. Players who play all of their matches during a cycle will receive 4 bonus points.
9. At the end of a cycle, the club will draw up new divisions. The top player and/or the second player in each group may be promoted to the next group at the end of the cycle. The bottom player and/or second from the bottom may be demoted a group. However, if a player appears to be placed in a division significantly too low or too high, he or she may be promoted/demoted more than one division at a time.
10. Where there are fewer than 6 players in a group, players in that group are to play the others in the group only once.
11. Tennis matches are one pro-set, no-ad scoring. The first player to win 8 games wins. At 7 all, a 7 point tiebreaker will be played. A game or a tiebreaker must be finished for it to count. If you are unable to finish a match because your hour is up, or because you have been bumped by another member, please report the score to the last finished game.
12. Players arriving more than 15 minutes late are subject to default.
13. Points will be awarded in the following manner.
Win= 4 points Tie= 2 points Loss= 1 point Default= 0 points
14. Both players must supply a can of new balls at the beginning of the
match. The loser keeps the used balls and the winner the new balls.
15. Players are responsible for recording their own scores on the ladder sheet in the clubhouse.
16. The ladder co-ordinator settles all disputes.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!